What do I need to travel to Cuba?

There are two documents you must have to travel to Cuba: a valid passport and the tourist card.

Passport: your passport must be valid for at least six months after your return date from Cuba

Cuban Visa (also called Tourist Card). Nearly all visitors to Cuba need to complete a Cuban Tourist Card in order to enter the country.It can be purchased at Cuban consulates, travel agencies or airlines authorized for this. The Tourist Card or Visa is valid for an entry and exit to Cuba and have a duration of 30 days, from the date of arrival in the country, with the possibility of extending it for 30 more days.

*Note: It is the traveler’s responsibility to check with the Embassy of the Republic of Cuba in each respective country for up-to-date information

American Citizens and American Residents

Visa: Apart from a valid US Passport, Cuba requires that all arriving travelers have a Tourist Card or Visa to enter the country. This visa is to be purchased for all non-Cuban born travelers that are traveling under one of the 12 permitted categories authorized by the OFAC. The participation at the Havana Salsa Congress will respond to the Category 8 – Option (b) for “Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions and exhibitions”. The airline may ask you to tick one of the categories when you book your flight online, or at the airport upon check-in.

You can get the visa at the time of check-in upon departure from the US and it can cost from $50-to $110 depending on the airline. Airlines that are flying to Cuba from the US include American, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Spirit, and Delta as well as charter services like Havanair, Xael, ABC Charters and CTS. We recommend calling your airline beforehand to verify.


Cuban American Travelers

For Cuban born passengers who emigrated prior to January 1st 1971 and are a citizen of another country willing to travel to Cuba with a Non-Cuban passport, you are required to apply for a special entry permit ‘HE-11’. Processing time 45-90 days. Once the visa is issued, it is only valid for 90 days and only good for one-time use.

For Cuban born passengers who emigrated after January 1st 1971, the passenger must travel to Cuba with a Cuban Passport.

Please contact Sagua Services & Travel for more information: hsc@saguaservices.com; Phone (305)‑610‑6176.



Upon your arrival in Havana

A team of HSC will welcome you upon your arrival at the Havana International Airport. In order to arrange your transportation to the Hotel, which is already included within the package’s dates (Nov 15 to Nov 19) it will very important that you provide us beforehand your flight information (arrival and departure date, airline and flight number). Otherwise, transportation IN/OUT will be on your own.



What currency is used in Cuba and what is the exchange rate?

A dual currency system is used in Cuba. The Cuban convertible peso also referred to as CUC, will be the
currency you will use in Cuba. CUCs come in the following denominations: 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100. The Cuban peso, also called CUP is only used by Cubans. For information on exchange rates, visit www.xe.com.


Can I exchange money in Cuba?

Yes, airports, hotels, and banks can exchange currency for you. We recommend exchanging money
at your hotel, as it is often the most convenient place to make currency exchanges. Make sure to have
your passport on hand. Due to the dual currency system used in Cuba, it is strongly advised to not accept offers to exchange currency from anyone who approaches you on the street.


Can I use credit cards in Cuba?

Credit cards issued by a U.S. bank have been said to be able to be used in Cuba, but you should consult with your financial institution to ensure that they will accept the charge from a Cuban vendor. We recommend that you do not rely on paying with a credit card as most venues outside the hotel do not accept credit cards at all.

If your credit card is issued by a non-American bank, ask your card provider if it’ll work in Cuba. Visa credit and debit cards are typically accepted by tour operators, and you may be able use them to pay with large retailers. You can also use your Visa card to withdraw funds from an ATM, a bank or a government exchange facility — also called a Cadeca.